3.05.2010

staying together for the kids.

i was 8 years old when my parents were divorced. many children, no matter what age they are, blame themselves for their parents splitting up. my sister did it - the kid actors on TV did it - but i did not ever once feel that i was the blame for my parents splitting up.

i heard this alot when i went to a thearpy group in my catholic school called Rainbows, for kids who were going through divorce or death in their family. it was me and two other kids for about 3 years together - once a week, with one of the only teachers who was divorced as our mentor. it was a space where we could vent freely. in retrospect, im very very happy that i was able to be invovled in something like this -- even though i know the other kids in my class were snickering behind my back when I skipped recess for Rainbows.

this week, ive been thinking about those parents who look past their differences (or just find a manageable way to live with them) and stay together for the children that theyv'e raised or brought to this world together. even at a young age, i knew that my parents were more at peace being apart.

i guess that this reflection just comes out of missing my Beretta Stacks -- every little thing about her. i wonder if she misses me the same, she is just a kitty face but i still feel that we have such a strong connection.

you always remember your first.

No comments:

Post a Comment